Dr. Rajendra K. Pachauri
Dr. Rajendra K. Pachauri
Rajendra K Pachauri, Ph.D., is an internationally recognized leader on environmental and energy issues and their policy dimensions.
As CEO of New Delhi-based TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), Dr. Pachauri oversees a staff of more than 1,200 employees engaged in the research and development of solutions to global problems in the fields of energy, environment and current patterns of development. Dr Pachauri is also Chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the world’s leading intergovernmental organization for the assessment of climate change. Dr Pachauri, who serves on a voluntary basis, was elected Chairman in 2002 and reelected by acclamation in 2008.
Based in Geneva, the IPCC was established by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) in 1988 to provide the world with internationally coordinated scientific assessments of the magnitude, timing and potential environmental and socio-economic impacts of climate change and potential response strategies. The IPCC, along with former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
Dr Pachauri is an economist and industrial engineer by training and has held numerous academic posts in addition to his work with TERI and the IPCC. He has co-authored above 130 papers, a large number of which are peer-reviewed, and written or co-written 27 books, most of them about energy and the environment, including the following representative sample:
- India’s Youth and the Challenge of Sustainable Development. R Venkataraman : A Centenary Tribute. Rupa Publications India Pvt. Ltd. 2012. 172-178 pp.
- Business unusual: championing corporate social responsibility, Volume 2. R K Pachauri (ed.), The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi, 2007.
- Petroleum Pricing in India: balancing efficiency and equity. Neha Misra, Ruchika Chawla, Leena Srivastava and R K Pachauri, The Energy and Resources Institute, New Delhi, 2005.
- Looking Back to Think Ahead: GREEN India 2047 (Growth with Resource Enhancement of Environment and Nature), R K Pachauri and P V Sridharan (eds.), Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, 1998.
- Climate Change in Asia & Brazil: The Role of Technology Transfer, R K Pachauri and Preety Bhandari (eds.), Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, 1994.
- Global Warming: Collaborative Study on Strategies to Limit CO2 emissions in Asia and Brazil, R K Pachauri and Preety Bhandari (eds.), Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co Ltd, New Delhi, 1992.
- Energy and Economic Development in India, Praeger Publishers, New York, 1977.
The Dynamics of Electrical Energy Supply and Demand: An Economic Analysis, Praeger Publishers, New York, 1975.